Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Sandon

Silver was found in 1891 and a rush followed, with thousands of prospectors staking the silver-bearing slopes. By 1895 Sandon was a thriving town and the terminus of 2 railways.

Article

Sanikiluaq

Sanikiluaq, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1976, population 812 (2011c), 744 (2006c).

Article

Sarnia

Sarnia, Ontario, incorporated as a city in 1914, population 72,366 (2011c), 71,419 (2006c).

Article

Saskatoon

The 2 Gowen sites show that hunting tribes were here 6000 years ago. Stratified settlement sites at Tipperary Creek (now Wanuskewin) indicate regular winter habitation by Indigenous peoples.

Article

Sault Ste Marie

Sault Ste Marie, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1887 and as a city in 1912, seat of Algoma district, population 75 141 (2011c), 74 948 (2006c). The City of Sault Ste Marie is located adjacent to the rapids of the St Marys River between Lakes Superior and Huron.

Article

Scarborough

 In 1900 only 3711 people lived in Scarborough Township. After the Second World War, Scarborough began to grow rapidly as did all municipalities adjoining Toronto. In 1953 Metro Toronto was created to deal more effectively with the problems of physical infrastructure that this expansion caused.

Article

Schefferville

In 1895 a Montréal geologist, A.P. Low, did detailed survey and mapping work showing the presence of major iron ore deposits in the Knob Lk region. In 1938 the research results of a Laval geologist, J.A.

Article

Sechelt

Sechelt, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1986, population 9291 (2011c), 8454 (2006c). The District of Sechelt is located on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia north of Vancouver on the Strait of GEORGIA. The community is named for the Sechelt who inhabit the area.

Article

Sechelt Peninsula

The Sechelt Peninsula, approximately 350 km2, is part of a popular cottage area and yachting centre in British Columbia known as the "Sunshine Coast." Isolated from nearby Vancouver, BC, by Howe Sound and the Coast Mountains, its coast is linked by ferries with Vancouver via Horseshoe Bay and with Powell River via Saltery Bay.

Article

Selkirk

Selkirk, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1882 and as a city in 1998, population 9834 (2011c), 9515 (2006c). The City of Selkirk is located on the west bank of the RED RIVER, 29 km north of Winnipeg.

Article

Senneterre

Senneterre, Qué, Town, pop 2993 (2006c), 3275 (2001c), inc 1956. Senneterre is located 130 km east of ROUYN-NORANDA along the banks of the Rivière Bell in Québec's Abitibi-Témiscamingue region. It was

Article

Sept-Îles

The first permanent European settlement dates from 1651: the Ange-Gardien mission founded by Father Jean de Quen. A trading and fishing post set up there in 1676 by Louis Jolliet was ceded in the 19th century to the Hudson's Bay Company.

Article

Sexsmith

Sexsmith, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1929 and as a town in 1979, population 2418 (2011c), 1969 (2006c). The Town of Sexsmith is 43 km north of GRANDE PRAIRIE on Highway 2. The district was first settled in 1911, with a post office called Sexsmith established in 1912.

Article

Shaunavon

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries ranching was the primary activity in the area and from 1910 the ranchers were forced to share the land with grain farmers. In 1913 the CPR extended its line into the area and the Shaunavon site developed.

Article

Shawinigan

After 1825 the government of Lower Canada had the territory of the Mauricie region surveyed. The first concessions were given out in 1831. Shawinigan was first the site of a waterslide (1852) built so that log booms could be sent downstream to Trois-Rivières.

Article

Shawinigan-Sud

The name Shawinigan, of Algonquin origin, means "portage on the crest." This refers to the crest of rocks that had to be climbed in order to portage around the majestic waterfall.

Article

Shediac

Shediac, NB, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 6053 (2011c), 5497 (2006c). The Town of Shediac is located on Northumberland Strait, 20 km east of MONCTON.

Article

Shelburne

Shelburne, NS, incorporated as a town in 1907, population 1686 (2011c), 1879 (2006c). The Town of Shelburne, the seat of Shelburne County, is located on Shelburne Harbour 208 km southwest of Halifax.

Article

Shellbrook

Shellbrook is located near the northern edge of agricultural settlement in Saskatchewan. Its first homesteaders did not arrive until the late 19th century. Much of the land was covered by jack pine which had to be cleared before crops could be planted.

Article

Sherbrooke

Sherbrooke, Qué, located 147 km east of Montréal, is the principal city of the Eastern Townships.