Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

St Stephen

St Stephen, NB, incorporated as a town in 1973, population 4817 (2011c), 4780 (2006c). The Town of St Stephen is located on the ST CROIX RIVER in southwestern New Brunswick.

Article

St Thomas

  St Thomas, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1881, seat of Elgin County, population 37 905 (2011c), 36 110 (2006c). The City of St Thomas is located in southwestern Ontario, 29 km south of London. In 1803 Thomas TALBOT began to place settlers on a large tract of land he owned N of Lake Erie.

Article

St-Eustache

This village was the site of a fierce battle during the REBELLIONS OF 1837 as Chenier and the PATRIOTES barricaded themselves in the church, priest's house and convent. Nearly 100 Patriotes were killed and the British troops put the village to the torch.

Article

St. Catharines

St. Catharines, ON, incorporated as a city in 1876, population 133,113 (2016 c), 131,400 (2011 c). The City of St. Catharines is the principal city of the Niagara Region. It lies south of Toronto across Lake Ontario (111 km by the Queen Elizabeth Way), 19 km inland from the international boundary with the United States, along the Niagara River. The city is named after Catharine Hamilton, wife of Robert Hamilton, an influential merchant of Queenston and a landowner with mills on Twelve Mile Creek; the growing community, then known as The Twelve or Shipman's Corners, was renamed in her honour after her death in 1796. After 1876, as the urban area of St. Catharines expanded, it was permitted to annex parts of the surrounding Grantham Township, culminating in 1961 in the complete amalgamation of the township as well as the adjacent towns of Merritton and Port Dalhousie. In 1970, the rural township of Louth to the west was split between St. Catharines and the new town of Lincoln.

Article

St. Jacobs

St. Jacobs, ON, established as a Police Village in 1904 and dissolved as such in 1972 under the Regional Municipality of Waterloo Act (1972), population 1,891 (2011c), 1,597 (2006c).

Article

St. John's

St. John's, NL, incorporated as a city in 1921, population 108,860 (2016 c), 106,172 (2011 c). The capital and largest city of Newfoundland and Labrador, the city of St. John's is located on the eastern side of the Avalon Peninsula of southeast Newfoundland. Its landlocked harbour is approached through a long, narrow channel and is protected by the high hills on which the city is built. The origin of the name St. John's is not known, but its use appears on a Portuguese map by Pedro Reinel (1516–20) as "Rio de San Johem" and later, in a 1527 letter by the English seaman John Rut, as the "Haven of St. John's." According to popular folklore, however, the city takes its name from the feast of Saint John the Baptist and the arrival of Italian explorer Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot) on the shores of Newfoundland on 24 June 1497.

Article

St. Margarets Bay

St. Margarets Bay, 70 km2, is a small inlet of the Atlantic Ocean on the SE coast of Nova Scotia, 40 km W of HALIFAX. It is a favourite summer resort area, noted especially for its relatively warm surface water, sandy beaches and ideal sailing conditions for small craft.

Article

Stadacona

Stadacona, Iroquoian village located at the present site of Québec City, had an estimated population of about 500. Jacques Jacques Cartier was led to the village on his second voyage in 1535 and wintered at a safe distance, across the St-Charles River.

Article

Ste-Marie

Ste-Marie, Qué, Town, pop 11 320 (2001c), 10 966 (1996c), 10 513 (1991cA), 9536 (1986c), area 107.20 km2, inc 1855, is located on the Rivière CHAUDIÈRE. Situated on lowlands suitable for agriculture, it was built on part of the seigneury given in 1736 to Thomas-Jacques Taschereau.

Article

Ste-Scholastique

Ste-Scholastique, Qué, was made a parish in 1834, but the village of Ste-Scholastique ceased to exist when land was expropriated in 1969 for the construction of Mirabel Airport. It then became part of the new city of MIRABEL.

Article

Steinbach

Steinbach, Manitoba, incorporated as a city in 1997, population 13 524 (2011c), 11 066 (2006c). The City of Steinbach is located 48 km southeast of WINNIPEG.

Article

Stellarton

Stellarton, Nova Scotia, was incorporated as a town in 1889 and has a population of 4,485 (2011). It borders the East River, approximately 18 km southeast of Pictou.

Article

Stephenville

Stephenville, NL, incorporated as a town in 1952, population 6719 (2011c), 6588 (2006c). The Town of Stephenville is located on the north shore of St George's Bay in southwestern Newfoundland.

Article

Stephenville Crossing

Stephenville Crossing, NL, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 1875 (2011c), 1960 (2006c). The Town of Stephenville Crossing is located at the head of St George's Bay on a low, flat floodplain between STEPHENVILLE and ST GEORGE'S on the west coast of Newfoundland.

Article

Stettler

Stettler, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 5748 (2011c), 5445 (2006c). The Town of Stettler, the county seat for County of Stettler, is located on the rolling prairie of south-central Alberta 203 km southeast of Edmonton on a creek flowing north to the Battle River.

Article

Stewart

Stewart, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1930, population 494 (2011c), 496 (2006c). The District of Stewart is located next to the Alaska Panhandle at the north end of the Portland Canal on the British Columbia coast.

Article

Stikine Territory

Stikine Territory Between 1839 and the 1867 American purchase of Alaska, the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY leased the continental portion of the Alaska Panhandle from the Russian American Fur Co.

Article

Stonewall

Stonewall, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1908, population 4536 (2011c), 4376 (2006c). The Town of Stonewall is located 24 km northwest of Winnipeg on a limestone outcrop in the southern Interlake.

Article

Stoney Creek

The first European settlers, primarily LOYALISTS, arrived from the US in 1786. The area was cleared for mixed farming and Stoney Creek attracted many saw and grain mills and other agricultural service activities.