Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Displaying 821-840 of 950 results
Article

Tadoussac

Tadoussac, Quebec, incorporated as a village in 1899, population 799 (2016 census), 813 (2011 census). Tadoussac is located at the confluence of the Saguenay and St. Lawrence rivers, 210 km northeast of Quebec City. In the Innu language, Totouskak means "breasts," a reference to the rounded hills found near the village.

Article

Tagish (Yukon)

The name Tagish apparently comes from "Ta-Gish-Ai", a word for "fish trap" and the name of the local First Nations band.

Article

Taloyoak

Taloyoak, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1981, population 899 (2011c), 809 (2006c). The Hamlet of Taloyoak, formerly known as Spence Bay, is located in a narrow inlet on the west side of the BOOTHIA PENINSULA.

Article

Tecumseh (Ont)

First settlement in the area dates from the 1790s, and throughout the 19th century the population was almost exclusively rural. Tecumseh grew first as a stopping place on the road between London and Windsor and then as a railway station.

Article

Temagami

Temagami originated in the 1890s as a tourist centre, when campers from southern Ontario first discovered the natural beauty of the area, celebrated in a well-known poem by Archibald LAMPMAN. It had previously been an Ojibwa settlement dependent on fur trading.

Article

Témiscaming

Témiscaming, Qué, Town, pop 2697 (2006c), 2903 (2001c), inc 1988. Témiscaming is located at the southern end of Lac Témiscamingue (spelled TIMISKAMING in Ontario) near the rapids that link the lake with the Ottawa River. In 1888 a sawmill was built nearby.

Article

Terrace

Terrace, BC, incorporated as a city in 1987, population 11 486 (2011c), 11 320 (2006c).

Article

Terrebonne

Vieux Terrebonne is a veritable heritage storehouse. The historic buildings and landmarks of the old village centre recall the role played by the NORTH WEST COMPANY in the history of Terrebonne.

Article

Teslin

Teslin, Yukon, incorporated as a village in 1984, population 124 (2016 census), 122 (2011 census). The village of Teslin is located on Teslin Lake at the mouth of the Nisutlin River. It is on the Alaska Highway, 183 km by road southeast of Whitehorse.

Article

The Forks

The Forks is a public space where the Red and Assiniboine rivers meet in the heart of what is now the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It occupies the waterfront zone east of Main Street and south of the CN mainline rail bridge. The Forks has played a complex role in the history of the region and of Canada as a whole. It has been a traditional gathering place for thousands of years and was an important hub of the fur trade in the 18th and 19th centuries. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many immigrants stopped at the Forks on their journey west. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1974 and is home to other sites of historical and archeological significance, as well as museums, monuments, parks and theatres.

Article

Thetford Mines

Thetford Mines, Quebec, incorporated as a city in 1905, population 16,174 (2016 census), 16,440 (2011 census). The city of Thetford Mines is located on the Bécancour River in the Appalachian Mountains, 107 km south of Quebec City. It was named after the town of Thetford in Norfolk, England. During the 20th century, it was one of the world’s largest asbestos mining and production centres.

Article

Thompson

Thompson, Manitoba, incorporated as a city in 1970, population 12 829 (2011c), 13 446 (2006c). The City of Thompson is located on the south side of the Burntwood River, 740 km north of Winnipeg.

Article

Thorold

Thorold, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1975, population 17 931 (2011c), 18 224 (2006c). The City of Thorold is situated on the NIAGARA PENINSULA. Though physically linked to ST CATHARINES, its large neighbour directly to the

Article

Three Hills

Three Hills, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1929, population 3198 (2011c), 3089 (2006c). The Town of Three Hills is located 128 km northeast of Calgary. Three Hills takes its name from 3 prominent hills to the north of the town.

Article

Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay, ON, incorporated as a city in 1970, population 107,909 (2016 census), 108,359 (2011 census). The City of Thunder Bay was created by the amalgamation of the cities of Fort William and Port Arthur and the townships of Neebing and McIntyre. It is located in northwestern Ontario on the west shore of the Lake Superior bay of the same name. Thunder Bay is situated on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabeg, and the land is covered by the Robinson-Superior Treaty. The Port of Thunder Bay is a western stop along the Great Lakes-St Lawrence Seaway. The region’s geography is dominated by the rocks, lakes and forests of the Canadian Shield. Surrounding communities depend on tourism or resource extraction, and look to Thunder Bay for a wide variety of services.

Article

Tignish

Today, Tignish is 93% Roman Catholic and more than 20% of the population can speak both French and English. The co-operative movement has been one of the community's most distinctive features.

Article

Tilbury

Tilbury, Ont, urban area, population 4700 (2011c), 4809 (2006c). Tilbury is located 56 km east of WINDSOR. It was a town from 1910 to 1998, when it was amalgamated with the new municipality of CHATHAM-KENT.