Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Displaying 861-880 of 950 results
Article

Trois-Rivières-Ouest

The history of Trois-Rivières-Ouest is linked with that of the city of Trois-Rivières. Set up as a parish municipality in 1855, it remained rural and semi-rural in character for many years, its population quite small in comparison with that of its neighbour.

Article

Truro

Truro, Nova Scotia, incorporated as a town in 1875, population 12,261 (2016 census), 12,059 (2011 census). The Town of Truro is located along the Salmon River 100 km northeast of Halifax on Cobequid Bay, Minas Basin. The town derives its name from New England settlers and likely honours Truro in Cornwall, England.

Article

Tsiigehtchic

Tsiigehtchic, Northwest Territories, population 187 (2019). Tsiigehtchic is located at the confluence of the  Mackenzie and Arctic Red rivers. It is home to the Gwichya Gwich’in First Nation (“people of the flat lands”) who speak an Athapaskan language (see Indigenous Languages in Canada). Formerly known as Arctic Red River, the community’s name was changed to Tsiigehtchic (“at the mouth of iron river”) in 1994. The community is on the Dempster Highway. It is accessible by summer ferry across the Mackenzie River and in winter by ice road. Tsiigehtchic is one of four communities in the Gwich’in Settlement Region. The region is an area created by the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (1992). The other three communities in the region are AklavikFort McPherson and Inuvik. (See also Dinjii Zhuh (Gwich'in).)

Article

Tuktoyaktuk

Tuktoyaktuk, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1970, population 898 (2016 census), 854 (2011 census). The Hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk is located on the coast of the Beaufort Sea, east of the Mackenzie River delta, and 1,135 km northwest of Yellowknife by air. Tuktoyaktuk, commonly referred to as Tuk, is a transportation and government centre, as well as a base for oil and natural gas exploration.

Article

Tulita

Tulita, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1984, population 478 (2011c), 505 (2006c).

Article

Twillingate

Twillingate, NL, incorporated as a town in 1962, population 2269 (2011c), 2448 (2006c). The Town of Twillingate is located on Twillingate Islands, Notre Dame Bay in northeast Newfoundland.

Article

Ucluelet (BC)

Ucluelet, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1997, population 1627 (2011c), 1487 (2006c). The District of Ucluelet is located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, 175 km northwest of Victoria, at the entrance to Barkley Sound.

Article

Unity

Unity, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 2389 (2011c), 2147 (2006c). The Town of Unity is located in west-central Saskatchewan 70 km southwest of North Battleford. Settlement in the area commenced in 1904 and the

Article

Upper Island Cove

Upper Island Cove, NL, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 1594 (2011c), 1667 (2006c). The Town of Upper Island Cove was created when two communities (Upper Island Cove and Spoon Cove) amalgamated. The town is located north of SPANIARD'S BAY on the northwest side of CONCEPTION BAY.

Article

Uummannarjuaq (Blacklead Island)

 Uummannarjuaq, which means "like a big sea mammal's heart," had long been an Inuit seasonal campsite. The island attracted whalers because of its strategic location close to the floe edge--the boundary between shore ice and open water where the spring whale hunt took place.

Article

Uxbridge

Uxbridge, Ontario, incorporated as a township in 1974, population 21,176 (2016 census), 20,623 (2011 census). The township of Uxbridge is located 68 km northeast of Toronto on Highway 47. The town of Uxbridge was amalgamated in 1974 with the townships of Scott and Uxbridge to form a new township in the Regional Municipality of Durham.

Article

Val-Bélair

The name Bélair stems back to the original seigneury granted to Guillaume Bonhomme in 1682 by Governor Joseph-Antoine Le Febvre de LA BARRE and Intendant Jacques de MEULLES. In a 1733 census the seigneury was designated as "the fief commonly referred to as Bélair or Bonhomme.

Article

Val-d'Or

Val-d'Or, Quebec, city incorporated in 1968, population 32,491 (2016 census), 31,862 (2011 census). Val-d'Or is located 95 km southeast of Rouyn-Noranda in northwestern Quebec's Abitibi-Témiscamingue region. The town is near the source of the Harricana River, one of the major rivers flowing north to James Bay. Val-d’Or’s name is linked to the gold rush, second in scale only to the Klondike, which took the area by storm in the mid-1930s. (See Gold Rushes in Canada.)

Article

Val-des-Monts

Val-des-Monts, Qué, Municipality, pop 7842 (2001c), 7231 (1996c), 5551 (1991c), area 435.57 km2, inc 1975 following the legislative amalgamation of the municipalities of Wakefield-Partie-Est, Portland-Ouest and Perkins, is located about 20 km northeast of HULL on the north bank of the OTTAWA RIVER.

Article

Val-des-Sources (Asbestos)

Val-des-Sources (formerly Asbestos), Quebec, incorporated as a village in 1899 and as a town in 1937, population 6,786 (2016 census), 7,096 (2011 census). The town of Val-des-Sources is located in the Eastern Townships region, 53 km north of Sherbrooke and 58 km southeast of Drummondville. Originally called Asbestos, the town was named after the mineral mined there from 1881 to 2011. During that time, Asbestos produced much of the world’s supply of the asbestos mineral, which is now banned in many countries because of its negative health effects. Asbestos was renamed Val-des-Sources in December 2020. Val-des-Sources is located on ancestral Abenaki lands. The land is unceded and is considered Indigenous territory.

Article

Valley East

Valley East was formed by the amalgamation of 3 agricultural and rural townships: Hanmer (founded in 1904), Capreol and Blezard (both founded in 1906). Capreol was annexed to Hanmer in 1967 and Hanmer and Blezard amalgamated in 1969 to form the township of Valley East.