Browse "Historic sites"

Article

Commissariat House

Commissariat House is a provincial HISTORIC SITE (designated in1977) located in ST JOHN'S, NL, and is an excellent example of Georgian architecture. Constructed between 1818 and 1820, it was built to house the Commissariat

Article

Doak Historic Site

Doak Historic Site is in Doaktown, NB, 94 km northeast of Fredericton. Robert Doak left Ayrshire in Scotland to take up land on the upper MIRAMICHI RIVER in New Brunswick in the early 1820s.

Article

Evergreen Brick Works

 Located in Toronto's Don Valley, Evergreen Brick Works helps to reconnect Torontonians with the rich natural heritage and invaluable recreational opportunities in the Don Valley Watershed.

Macleans

Farewell to Montreal Forum

Yvon Lambert cherishes the memory of it still, the magic moment when he briefly wore the crown. Like so many Montreal fables, it is a story about hockey. And like most hockey stories in the city, it happened at the Forum, on a warm evening in May 17 years ago.

Article

Ferryland Archaeological Site

The lowest levels have revealed campsites of the Beothuk, Newfoundland's now-extinct Native people. At the same levels evidence of European fishermen from Spain, Portugal, the Basque Provinces, Brittany and West Country England have been found.

Article

Fishermen's Life Museum

Many of Nova Scotia's HISTORIC SITES reflect the wealth that was made from the sea; the Fishermen's Life Museum tells the story of the ordinary men and women who made a living from fishing. This historic site in Jeddore Oyster Pond, NS, was built in 1857 by a fisherman, James Myers.

Article

Fort Amherst

Fort Amherst, on the west shore of Charlottetown Harbour, PEI, was built in late 1758 by the British. The site had been known previously as Port La Joie, established in 1720 as the capital of the French colony of Île Saint-Jean.

Article

Fort Anne

For the next 40 years, the British at Fort Anne maintained a precarious position in the Acadian-dominated province and were frequently attacked by French and Indian raiding parties. The status of the fort declined with the founding of Halifax (1749) and the expulsion of the Acadians (1755).

Article

Fort Battleford

When the settlement of Battleford, in what is now west-central Saskatchewan, was named the capital of the North-West Territories in 1876, the North-West Mounted Police established a post to deal with anticipated problems with Indigenous people.

Article

Fort Beauséjour

Fort Beauséjour, on the west bank of the Missaguash River near present-day Sackville, New Brunswick was built 1751-55 by the French as a counter to nearby British Fort Lawrence (near Amherst, NS).

Article

Fort Calgary

Fort Calgary, located at the junction of the Bow and Elbow rivers on the site of the present-day city of Calgary, was established in 1875 as a North-West Mounted Police post by Ephrem-A. Brisebois, one of the original officers of the force.