Browse "Districts and municipalities"

Article

Mackenzie

Mackenzie, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1966, population 3507 (2011c), 4539 (2006c). The District of Mackenzie is situated in northern British Columbia near the south end of Williston Lake in the Rocky Mountain Trench.

Article

Maple Ridge

Maple Ridge, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1874, population 76 052 (2011c), 68 949 (2006c). The District of Maple Ridge is located 40 km east of VANCOUVER, bounded by the FRASER RIVER on the south and on the north by the Golden Ears Mountain.

Article

Matsqui

Matsqui, BC, Urban Community, was a district municipality (1892-1995) until it was merged with the District Municipality of Abbotsford to form the city of ABBOTSFORD. Matsqui is located between the FRASER RIVER (opposite the district of MISSION) and the US border.

Article

Meaford

Meaford, Ont, incorporated as a municipality in 2001, population 11 100 (2011c) 10 948 (2006c). The Municipality of Meaford was a town (incorporated in 1874) until 2001 when it was amalgamated with St Vincent and Sydenham townships to create the Municipality of Meaford

Article

Metchosin

Metchosin, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1984, population 4803 (2011c), 4795 (2006c).

Article

Mission

Mission, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1969, population 36 426 (2011c), 34 505 (2006c). The District of Mission is located on the north bank ofthe FRASER RIVER, 70 km by road east of VANCOUVER.

Article

Mistassini

Mistassini, Qué, was a separate municipality (inc 1976) until it merged with Dolbeau to form the city of Dolbeau-Mistassini.

Article

Muskoka

District Municipality of Muskoka, Ontario, incorporated in 1971, permanent population 60,599 (2016 census), 58,017 (2011 census); estimated seasonal population 85,163 in 2016. Muskoka is an iconic area of Ontario’s cottage country located approximately 200 km north of Toronto. A destination for seasonal residents and tourists who have been drawn by its natural beauty since the late 1800s, the district has equally been home to generations of permanent residents.

Article

Norfolk County

Norfolk County, Ont, incorporated as a city in 2001, population 63 175 (2011c), 62 563 (2006c). The City of Norfolk County is located 56 km southwest of Hamilton and 97 km southeast of London.

Article

North Cowichan

North Cowichan, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1873, population 28 807 (2011c), 27 557 (2006c). The Municipality of North Cowichan is located on the east coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND about halfway between Nanaimo and Victoria.

Article

North Saanich

North Saanich, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1965, population 11 089 (2011c), 10 823 (2006c). The District of North Saanich is one of three district municipalities on the SAANICH PENINSULA about 27 km north of VICTORIA.

Article

North Vancouver

North Vancouver, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1891, population 84 412 (2011c), 82 562 (2006c); also, a separate entity incorporated as a city in 1907, population 48 196 (2011c), 45 165 (2006c). The District of North Vancouver and the City of North Vancouver are located in southwestern British Columbia, adjacent to the city of VANCOUVER.

Article

Oak Bay

Oak Bay, incorporated as a district municipality in 1906, population 18 015 (2011c), 17 908 (2006c). The District of Oak Bay is located on the southeast corner of VANCOUVER ISLAND, adjoining the city of VICTORIA. It is surrounded by JUAN DE FUCA STRAIT on the south and Haro Strait on the east.

Article

Oka

Oka, Québec, municipality, population 3,969 (2011), 3,300 (2006), incorporated 1875.

Article

Orkney

Since 1926 the Rural Municipality of Orkney has had a joint administration with the neighbouring rural municipality of Wallace. There are 2 communities in the rural municipality, Orcadia, a stop on the Canadian Pacific Railway line and White Spruce.

Article

Peachland

Peachland, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1909, population 5200 (2011c), 4883 (2006c). The District of Peachland is located on the west shore of OKANAGAN LAKE, 25 km south of KELOWNA.

Article

Pinawa

Pinawa, Manitoba, incorporated as a local government district in 1963, population 1444 (2011c), 1450 (2006c). The Local Government District of Pinawa is located 110 km northeast of Winnipeg on the Winnipeg River at the entrance of the Pinawa Channel.

Article

Pintendre

Originally, Pintendre was part of the territory of Lévis. Agriculture was the mainstay of the population. Forestry also thrived. The name of the municipality most likely comes from the forests of "tender" (French, tendre), or supple, white pine (French, pin) that once covered the area.

Article

Pointe-au-Père

In 1663, the Jesuit priest Henri Nouvel landed on the south bank of the St Lawrence River and conducted the first mass. In 1696 this territory was the seigneurie de Lessard, granted to Pierre Lessard and Barbe Fortin, his wife.

Article

Port Edward

Port Edward, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1991, population 544 (2011c), 577 (2006c). The District of Port Edward is located near PRINCE RUPERT on British Columbia's northern mainland coast, on Inverness Passage near the mouth of the SKEENA RIVER.