Browse "Towns"

Article

Ajax

Ajax, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1955, population 109 600 (2011c), 90 167 (2006c). The Town of Ajax is located 13 km from the eastern boundary of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

Article

Alberton

By 1833 Alberton was known as "Stump Town" because hundreds of stumps were left after the clearing of a forest. Owing to its crossroads location, Alberton was later known as the "Cross." On 27 June 1862, the community was renamed in honour of Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales.

Article

Altona

The town site was established in 1895 on a Canadian Pacific Railway spur near the agricultural village of Altona, settled in 1880 as part of a reserve W of the Red River for Mennonites from Russia.

Article

Amherst

Amherst, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 9717 (2011c), 9505 (2006c). The Town of Amherst is located near the border with New Brunswick, 15 km east of Sackville, NB.

Article

Amherstburg

Amherstburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 21 556 (2011c), 21 748 (2006c). The Town of Amherstburg is located on Detroit River near Lake Erie.

Article

Amos

Founded in 1914, Amos became in the mid-1920s the most important town in Abitibi and the county town of this newly settled region of Québec. It took its name from Alice Amos, the wife of Sir Lomer Gouin, premier of Québec.

Article

Amqui

Amqui's municipal history is more complex than it seems. In 1907, the village centre had split away from the parish municipality of Saint-Benoît-Joseph-Labre. It adopted the name Amqui in 1948 and was given town status in 1961.

Article

Ancaster

Ancaster, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Hamilton. Ancaster was incorporated as a town in 1974, but in 2001 it was merged into the new city of Hamilton

Article

Annapolis Royal

Annapolis Royal, NS, incorporated as a town in 1893, population 481 (2011c), 444 (2006c). The Town of Annapolis Royal is located on the south side of the Annapolis River, about 10 km from its mouth near the western shore of Nova Scotia.

Article

Antigonish

Antigonish, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 4524 (2011c), 4236 (2006c). The Town of Antigonish is situated on a small plain just over a kilometre from Antigonish Harbour. Located midway between Halifax and Sydney.

Article

Anyox

Anyox, BC, was a town situated on Granby Bay, 60 km north of Prince Rupert. The Tsimshian word means "hidden water.

Article

Arnprior

Arnprior, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1892, population 8114 (2011c), 7158 (2006c). The Town of Arnprior is located at the confluence of the Madawaska and Ottawa rivers, 56 km west of Ottawa.

Article

Arviat

Arviat, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1977, population 2318 (2011c), 2060 (2006c). The Hamlet of Arviat is located on the west coast of Hudson Bay and is the southern-most community of mainland Nunavut.

Article

Asbestos (Qué)

Asbestos, Qué, Town, pop 6819 (2006c), 6580 (2001c), inc 1937. Asbestos is located in the Lower Appalachian plateau 63 km north of Sherbrooke and 55 km southeast of Drummondville.

Article

Assiniboia (Sask)

Assiniboia, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1913, population 2418 (2011c), 2305 (2006c). The Town of Assiniboia is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway line, 105 km south of Moose Jaw.

Article

Athabasca

Athabasca, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 2990 (2011c), 2580 (2006c). The Town of Athabasca is located on the Athabasca River, 150 km north of Edmonton. It was known until 1904 as Athabasca Landing.

Article

Atikokan

Atikokan, Ont, incorporated as a township in 1954, population 2787 (2011c), 3293 (2006c). The Township of Atikokan is located in northwestern Ontario on the Atikokan River, 220 km west of Thunder Bay.

Article

Aurora

Aurora, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1888, population 53 203 (2011c), 47 629 (2006c). The Town of Aurora is located in York County, 30 km north of Toronto.

Article

Aylmer (Ont)

Aylmer, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1887, population 7151 (2011c), 7069 (2006c). The Town of Aylmer is located 50 km south of London and 15 km north of Lake Erie, on Catfish Creek.