Browse "Towns"

Article

Dawson

Dawson (also Dawson City), Yukon, incorporated as a town in 1904, population 1319 (2011c), 1327 (2006c).

Article

Deep River

Deep River, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1959, population 4193 (2011c), 4216 (2006c). The Town of Deep River is located in eastern Ontario, 208 km northwest of Ottawa.

Article

Delson

Delson was built up around a junction of the Delaware and Hudson and GRAND TRUNK railway lines. Originally known as Delson Junction, its name is the joining of the first syllable of Delaware to the last syllable of Hudson.

Article

Didsbury

Didsbury, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 4957 (2011c), 4305 (2006c). The Town of Didsbury is located about 75 km north of Calgary and is named after the town of Didsbury near Manchester in England.

Article

Digby

Digby, NS, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 2152 (2011c), 2092 (2006c). The Town of Digby is located on the west side of the Annapolis Basin in western Nova Scotia.

Article

Donnacona (Qué)

History Donnacona had its beginning in 1700 with the building of a paper mill at a site along the river called Fond Jacques-Cartier. A second mill was built in 1815 and a third mill, Donnacona Paper, was built in 1912.

Article

Drayton Valley

Drayton Valley, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1957, population 7049 (2011c), 6893 (2006c). The Town of Drayton Valley is located about 120 km southwest of EDMONTON. The first European settlers arrived about 1907 and practised marginal mixed farming, lumbering and trapping.

Article

Drumheller

Drumheller, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1998, population 8029 (2011c), 7932 (2006c). The Town of Drumheller is located on the RED DEER RIVER in southern Alberta, 138 km northeast of Calgary.

Article

Emerson

Emerson, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1879, population 671 (2011c), 689 (2006c). The Town of Emerson is Manitoba's main port of entry on the international boundary.

Article

Erickson

Swedish and Norwegian immigrants were among the first settlers in the region. They took up homesteads in the Otter Lake and Rolling River area on a reserve called Scandinavia or New Sweden, established in 1885 as part of a campaign to attract Scandinavian immigrants to Canada.

Article

Espanola

Espanola, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1958, population 5364 (2011c), 5314 (2006c). The Town of Espanola is located 69 km west of Sudbury on the Spanish River.

Article

Estevan

The townsite was surveyed in 1892 where the Soo Line of the Canadian Pacific Railway crossed the river, and grew steadily from that date, largely because of its dual role as a trading and energy centre.

Article

Exeter

Exeter, Ont, Town, urban area, population 4785 (2011c), 4657 (2006c). Exeter is located approximately 50 km north of LONDON.

Article

Fairvale

Fairvale, NB, is a community located on the Kennebecasis River within the town of ROTHESAY. Settled in 1819, it remained a farming area until early in the 20th century.

Article

Fairview

Fairview, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1949, population 3162 (2011c), 3297 (2006c). The Town of Fairview is located in the Peace River country of northern Alberta, 110 km north of Grande Prairie.

Article

Farnham

During the first 40 years (1810-50), the chief source of revenue was the manufacture of potash. The construction of the Stanstead-Shefford & Chambly Railway in 1857 began Farnham's remarkable progress as a railway centre, thanks to its geographic position and competition among railway promoters.

Article

Faro

Today, Faro's population has stablized and its residents are employed in government services and commerce. Its name is derived from a game of chance popular in Klondike saloons in which the cards bore a stylized portrait of an Egyptian pharaoh.

Article

Fergus

Fergus, Ont, urban area, population 19 126 (2011c), 18 349 (2006c). Fergus is a community located on the Grand River 22 km north of GUELPH.

Article

Ferryland

Ferryland, NL, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 465 (2011c), 529 (2006c). The Town of Ferryland is located 72 km south of St John's on the shores of a picturesque harbour dominated by a large lighthouse.

Article

Florenceville-Bristol

Florenceville-Bristol, NB, incorporated as a town in 2008, population 1639 (2011c), 1539 (2006c). Florenceville-Bristol was formed by the amalgamation of two villages, Florenceville and Bristol (both incorporated in 1966) and is situated 146 km up the SAINT JOHN RIVER from Fredericton.