Browse "Towns"

Article

Ferryland

Ferryland, NL, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 465 (2011c), 529 (2006c). The Town of Ferryland is located 72 km south of St John's on the shores of a picturesque harbour dominated by a large lighthouse.

Article

Fort Qu'Appelle

The Cree and Saulteaux signed Treaty 4 at this site in 1874, and a year later a North-West Mounted Police outpost was established near the present townsite.

Article

Fort Smith

Fort Smith, NWT, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 2093 (2011c), 2364 (2006c). The Town of Fort Smith is located on the southwest bank of the SLAVE RIVER near the Alberta-NWT border, 724 air km north of Edmonton.

Article

Fort Macleod

Fort Macleod, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1892, population 3117 (2011c), 3072 (2006c). The Town of Fort Macleod is located on the OLDMAN RIVER, 165 km south of Calgary.

Article

Fort Frances

Fort Frances, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 7952 (2011c), 8103 (2006c). The Town of Fort Frances is located in northwestern Ontario at the west end of RAINY LAKE, where it drains into Rainy River.

Article

Fort McMurray

Fort McMurray, Alberta, unincorporated population centre, population 61,374 (2011c), 47,705 (2006c). Fort McMurray is the largest community in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB). It is technically known as the municipality’s “Urban Service Area” and colloquially known as “Fort Mac.” The community located near the confluence of the Athabasca and Clearwater rivers in northeastern Alberta, near the centre of the vast Athabasca oil sands deposit. Originally incorporated as a city in 1980, in 1995 Fort McMurray merged with much of the surrounding area — collectively known as Improvement District No. 143 — to create the RMWB. At 63,783 km2, the municipality is the largest in North America in terms of size, accounting for nearly 10 per cent of the province’s total area. In May 2016, Fort McMurray experienced one of the worst forest fires in Canadian history. More than 80,000 residents were evacuated and approximately 2,400 structures — about 10 per cent of the city — were destroyed.

Article

Forteau

Forteau, NL, incorporated as a town in 1997, population 429 (2011c), 448 (2006c). The Town of Forteau is a fishing and services centre on Forteau Bay in southern Labrador, 25 km across the Strait of Belle Isle from insular Newfoundland.

Article

Fortune

Fortune, NL, incorporated as a town in 1946, population 1442 (2011c), 1458 (2006c). The Town of Fortune is located on the west end of the Burin Peninsula at the mouth of Fortune Bay.

Article

Gambo

Gambo, NL, incorporated as a town in 1964, population 1984 (2011c), 2072 (2006c). The Town of Gambo is an amalgamation of three communities - Dark Cove, Middle Brook and Gambo - stretching along the shore at the end of Freshwater Bay, a long indraft of BONAVISTA BAY.

Article

Gananoque

Gananoque, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 5194 (2011c), 5285 (2006c). The Town of Gananoque is located at the confluence of the St Lawrence and Gananoque rivers, 29 km east of Kingston.

Article

Gander

Gander, NL, incorporated as a town in 1954, population 11 054 (2011c), 9951 (2006c). The town of Gander is located on Gander Lake in east-central Newfoundland.

Article

Ganges

Ganges, BC, Unincorporated Place. Ganges is the major community centre of SALTSPRING ISLAND, the largest island in the southern GULF ISLANDS chain. Named after HMS Ganges, flagship of the Pacific Station 1857-60, it is located at

Article

St George's

St George's, NL, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 1207 (2011c), 1246 (2006c). The Town of St George's is located on the southeast side of St George's Bay, on the west coast of Newfoundland.

Article

Georgetown

In this century Georgetown's story has been one of further decline. Georgetown Timber, Seafood 2000 and the modern East Isle Shipyard are the principal sources of employment.

Article

Georgina

Georgina, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1986, population 43 517 (2011c), 42 346 (2006c). The Townships of North Gwillimbury and Georgina were amalgamated in 1971 and incorporated as the town of Georgina in 1986.

Article

Gibbons

Gibbons, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1977, population 3030 (2011c), 2642 (2006c). The Town of Gibbons is located 55 km northeast of Edmonton on the Sturgeon River. Gibbons is named in honour of William R. Gibbons, the first homesteader in the area in 1894.

Article

Gibsons

Gibsons, BC, incorporated as a town in 1982, population 4437 (2011c), 4182 (2006c). The Town of Gibsons is located just north of VANCOUVER at the western entrance to Howe Sound. The town is reached from Vancouver by car ferry from Horseshoe Bay.

Article

Gimli

Gimli, Man, Urban Area, pop 1891 (2006c), 1657 (2001c). Gimli was incorporated as a town from 1947 to 2003 after which it was reunited into the Rural Municipality of Gimli. (The original rural municipality was incorporated in 1887 and the village of Gimli separated from it in 1908.) The community is located on the west shore of Lake WINNIPEG, 76 km north of Winnipeg.

Article

Gladstone

Gladstone, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1882, population 879 (2011c), 802 (2006c). The Town of Gladstone is located on the Whitemud River, 138 km northwest of Winnipeg and 30 km west of the southern tip of Lake Manitoba.

Article

New Glasgow

New Glasgow, NS, incorporated as a town in 1875, population 9562 (2011c), 9455 (2006c). The Town of New Glasgow is located on the East River of Pictou 15 km southeast of Pictou.