Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Displaying 861-880 of 938 results
Article

Upper Island Cove

Upper Island Cove, NL, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 1594 (2011c), 1667 (2006c). The Town of Upper Island Cove was created when two communities (Upper Island Cove and Spoon Cove) amalgamated. The town is located north of SPANIARD'S BAY on the northwest side of CONCEPTION BAY.

Article

Uummannarjuaq (Blacklead Island)

 Uummannarjuaq, which means "like a big sea mammal's heart," had long been an Inuit seasonal campsite. The island attracted whalers because of its strategic location close to the floe edge--the boundary between shore ice and open water where the spring whale hunt took place.

Article

Uxbridge

The town of Uxbridge was amalgamated in 1974 with the townships of Scott and Uxbridge to form a new township in the Regional Municipality of Durham. Residents of note include local manufacturer Joseph Gould, an ally of William Lyon MACKENZIE, who named the settlement after Uxbridge, Eng.

Article

Val-Bélair

The name Bélair stems back to the original seigneury granted to Guillaume Bonhomme in 1682 by Governor Joseph-Antoine Le Febvre de LA BARRE and Intendant Jacques de MEULLES. In a 1733 census the seigneury was designated as "the fief commonly referred to as Bélair or Bonhomme.

Article

Val-d'Or

The town was originally made up of 2 separate municipalities. The first, Bourlamaque, founded in 1934 by the Lamaque Mining Co, was a company town for many years. The other, Val-d'Or, was incorporated as a village in 1935 and a town 2 years later, and began as a bustling gold-rush town.

Article

Val-des-Monts

Val-des-Monts, Qué, Municipality, pop 7842 (2001c), 7231 (1996c), 5551 (1991c), area 435.57 km2, inc 1975 following the legislative amalgamation of the municipalities of Wakefield-Partie-Est, Portland-Ouest and Perkins, is located about 20 km northeast of HULL on the north bank of the OTTAWA RIVER.

Article

Valley East

Valley East was formed by the amalgamation of 3 agricultural and rural townships: Hanmer (founded in 1904), Capreol and Blezard (both founded in 1906). Capreol was annexed to Hanmer in 1967 and Hanmer and Blezard amalgamated in 1969 to form the township of Valley East.

Article

Valleyview

Valleyview, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1954 and as a town in 1957, population 1761 (2011c), 1725 (2006c). The Town of Valleyview is located 105 km east of GRANDE PRAIRIE. The first homesteaders took up land in the area in the late 1910s and the district was called Red Willow.

Article

Vancouver

Vancouver, British Columbia, incorporated as a city in 1886, population 631,486 (2016c), 603,502 (2011c). Vancouver is the largest city in British Columbia and the third largest census metropolitan area in Canada. The City of Vancouver lies on a peninsula in the southwest corner of the province's mainland. Two surrounding waterways — Burrard Inlet and the Strait of Georgia — provide a sheltered deep-sea port and convenient access to the Pacific Ocean, while the Fraser River offers an easy route to the rich agricultural lands of the Fraser River Lowland and the interior. Railways and highways give easy access to the interior.

Article

Vancouver Chinatown

Vancouver's Chinatown features a distinctive hybrid of architectural styles that combines Chinese regional architecture with locally established Western motifs. The main streets in Chinatown follow a traditional Western grid pattern, while the north side is distinguished by interior courtyards, alleyways and façades that face both lanes and streets.

Article

Vanderhoof

Vanderhoof, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1982, population 4480 (2011c), 4064 (2006c). The District of Vanderhoof is located 98 km west of PRINCE GEORGE and is the geographic centre of the province of British Columbia.

Article

Vanier

Too small for industry, the city was the location of a number of federal office buildings. The retail and service sectors were also important to the economy. A significant portion of the population remains French-speaking.

Article

Vanier (Qué)

Vanier, Qué, City, pop 11 054 (2001c), 11 174 (1996c), 10 833(1991c), area 4.59 km2, inc 1916, was originally named Québec-Ouest until 1966, when it was changed to Vanier in honour of Governor-General Georges-Philéas VANIER.

Article

Vanscoy

Vanscoy, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1909, population 2714 (2011c), 2629 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Vanscoy is located about 30 km southwest of SASKATOON. The original name for this rural municipality was Logantown.

Article

Varennes

Canada's largest concentration of researchers in the field of ENERGY is concentrated in Varennes.

Article

Vaudreuil-Dorion

The area was granted to Philippe de Rigaud de VAUDREUIL in 1703. However, it was his successor, Michel Chartier de Lotbinière, who fostered the settlement and development of the seigneury that he had bought from the Vaudreuil family in 1763. The FUR TRADE and agriculture supported the local economy.

Article

Vaughan

Vaughan, ON, incorporated as a city in 1991, population 306,233 (2016 c), 288,301 (2011 c). The City of Vaughan — which includes the five constituent communities of Maple, Kleinburg, Concord, Woodbridge and part of Thornhill — is located in the York regional municipality, next to the northwest boundary of metropolitan Toronto. Traditionally an agricultural and milling community, Vaughan’s economy diversified over the latter half of the 20th century as immigration increased and the township developed into a city. Today, Vaughan is a multicultural community with a growing metropolitan core.

Article

Vegreville

Vegreville, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1906, population 5717 (2011c), 5519 (2006c). The Town of Vegreville is located in the parkland region of east-central Alberta 100 km east of Edmonton.