Browse "Provincial historic sites"

Article

Agawa Pictograph Site

 The cliff is on a big rock of white crystalline granite, which contrasts with the red paintings although mineral traces, lichens and graffiti have damaged them in some places.

Article

Baldoon

Sheriff Alexander C. Macdonell, Selkirk's agent, struggled for years at considerable expense to the earl to make a success of the venture, but found the swampy land and the difficulty of sheep farming to be serious obstacles.

Article

Balmoral Grist Mill

Balmoral Grist Mill in Balmoral Mills, NS, was built in about 1874 by Alexander MacKay. The mill is located on Matheson's Brook and was once just one of 5 mills on the brook. It was used to grind local stocks of wheat, oats, barley, rye and buckwheat to produce flour and oatmeal.

Article

Boyd's Cove

Boyd's Cove, in eastern Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland, has been occupied intermittently for about 2,000 years. Beothuk pit houses dating from the late 17th or the early 18th century have yielded stone tools lying nearby European artifacts.

Article

Burgess Shale Fossils

The fossils from Burgess Shale are more than 500 million years old. About 140 species of marine invertebrates have been discovered. They include sponges, sea worms and tiny "sea monsters" such as the 5-eyed Opabinia and the Hallucigenia with its 7 pairs of stilt-like spines and 7 tentacles.

Article

Commissariat House

Commissariat House is a provincial HISTORIC SITE (designated in1977) located in ST JOHN'S, NL, and is an excellent example of Georgian architecture. Constructed between 1818 and 1820, it was built to house the Commissariat

Article

Doak Historic Site

Doak Historic Site is in Doaktown, NB, 94 km northeast of Fredericton. Robert Doak left Ayrshire in Scotland to take up land on the upper MIRAMICHI RIVER in New Brunswick in the early 1820s.

Article

Evergreen Brick Works

 Located in Toronto's Don Valley, Evergreen Brick Works helps to reconnect Torontonians with the rich natural heritage and invaluable recreational opportunities in the Don Valley Watershed.

Macleans

Farewell to Montreal Forum

Yvon Lambert cherishes the memory of it still, the magic moment when he briefly wore the crown. Like so many Montreal fables, it is a story about hockey. And like most hockey stories in the city, it happened at the Forum, on a warm evening in May 17 years ago.

Article

Fishermen's Life Museum

Many of Nova Scotia's HISTORIC SITES reflect the wealth that was made from the sea; the Fishermen's Life Museum tells the story of the ordinary men and women who made a living from fishing. This historic site in Jeddore Oyster Pond, NS, was built in 1857 by a fisherman, James Myers.

Article

Haliburton House

Haliburton House, a 1½ storey villa in WINDSOR, NS, was built in 1836 and originally set in a 16 ha estate. It was the home of Thomas Chandler HALIBURTON, one of Nova Scotia's most famous 19th-century figures.

Article

Historic Dunvegan

One of the most important fur trade sites on the PEACE RIVER, a post operated at Dunvegan from 1805 to 1918. The first post was built by Archibald Norman McLeod of the North West Company to trade with the BEAVER and other First Nations who lived in the middle and upper reaches of the Peace River.

Article

Kennedy House

Kennedy House is a provincial HISTORIC SITE located just north of Winnipeg on River Road, the old highway that connected the RED RIVER COLONY between LOWER FORT GARRY and UPPER FORT GARRY.