The Dempster Highway runs from near Dawson, YT, 730 km across the northern Yukon through the Richardson Mountains to Fort McPherson and Inuvik, in the Mackenzie Delta of the Northwest Territories. Begun in 1959, it was the first of the "Roads to Resources" of the government and Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. In September 1963 the highway was named after Inspector William J.D. Dempster of the RCMP (b in Wales 21 Oct 1876; d at Vancouver 25 Oct 1964), who served with the Mounted Police from 1897 to 1934, all but one year at various posts in the Yukon. The route, opened to the public in the spring of 1979, cost $100 million, required major bridges across the Eagle and Ogilvie rivers, and crosses some of the most formidable and beautiful terrain in North America.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Coates, Kenneth S.. "Dempster Highway". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/dempster-highway. Accessed 27 September 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Coates, K. (2015). Dempster Highway. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/dempster-highway
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Coates, Kenneth S.. "Dempster Highway." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Dempster Highway," by Kenneth S. Coates, Accessed September 27, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/dempster-highway
Article by Kenneth S. Coates
Published Online February 7, 2006
Last Edited March 4, 2015