Haileybury | The Canadian Encyclopedia



Haileybury, Ontario, unincorporated place, population 3,266 (2016 census) 3,462 (2011 census). Haileybury is located on the northwestern shore of Lake Timiskaming, 150 km north of North Bay. Incorporated as a town in 1904, it amalgamated with the town of New Liskeard and Dymond Township (incorporated 1901) to create the city of Temiskaming Shores in 2004.

In 1889, Haileybury was established by Charles C. Farr, who had come to the area six years earlier as an employee of Hudson’s Bay Company. Farr named the community after his English alma mater, Haileybury College. Because of its readily accessible port facilities on Lake Timiskaming and its proximity to the silver mines of Cobalt and to the agricultural region known as Little Clay Belt, Haileybury developed as a residential, commercial and service centre for the whole area.

Haileybury is famous for its devastation by several forest fires, most notably the Great Fire of 1922 that dispossessed more than 2,900 people. Nevertheless, over the 20th century, the town maintained and strengthened its role as a commercial hub for the flow of goods. The seat of the District of Timiskaming from 1912 to 2003, it is now the administrative centre for the city of Temiskaming Shores. It is the site of Northern College’s Haileybury School of Mines, which began holding classes in 1912.

Further Reading