Digby, NS, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 2152 (2011c), 2092 (2006c). The Town of Digby is located on the west side of the Annapolis Basin in western Nova Scotia. Referred to as Oositookum ("ear") by the MI'KMAQ, it was called Conway by some early New England settlers, and was later named for Admiral Robert Digby, commander of the HMS Atlanta, which had conveyed LOYALISTS to the area in 1783. By the 1790s Digby was exporting lumber, fish and some farm produce. At the end of the 19th century, Digby and nearby Smiths Cove had been established as tourist resort areas.
Today a major seaport, Digby is noted for having one of the world's largest SCALLOP fleets. It is a centre for distribution, shipping, fishing and general commerce. CFB CORNWALLIS is located nearby. A ferry makes 3 trips daily to SAINT JOHN, NB. Attractions include high tides (over 9 m) and whale watching. The ceiling of Trinity Anglican Church (1878) resembles the inverted hull of a ship. The church was designated a national HISTORIC SITE in 1990.