Trois-Rivières-OuestTrois-Rivières-Ouest, Qué, City, pop 23 287 (2001c), 22 886 (1996c), 20 046 (1991c), area 29.73 km2, inc 1963, is located on the North Shore of the St Lawrence River, west of the city of TROIS-RIVIÉRES. The Laviolette Bridge (1967), famous for its lacelike steel architecture, connects the 2 cities to the South Shore.
The history of Trois-Rivières-Ouest is linked with that of the city of Trois-Rivières. Set up as a parish municipality in 1855, it remained rural and semi-rural in character for many years, its population quite small in comparison with that of its neighbour. From 1961 to the present, however, population growth has been tremendous: nearly 460% between 1961 and 1996.
A residential suburb of Trois-Rivières, it has many green spaces and recreational parks. The largest, Laviolette, encircles the north end of the Laviolette Bridge. Trois-Rivières-Ouest is home of the renowned summer theatre, Le Théâtre des Marguerites. A monument commemorates the Iroquois massacre at Pointes-aux-Ormes, in August 1652, of close to a third of the population of Trois-Rivières