Ursuline Convent

  Ursuline Convent, Québec City. First occupying this site in 1642 under the leadership of MARIE DE L'INCARNATION (who had established a convent first in the lower town in 1639), the Ursuline Sisters gradually (1686-1902) erected this complex of buildings dedicated to the education of young girls.

Ursuline Convent
The first Ursuline Convent was built in 1642. This retrospective view was painted by Joseph Légaré (courtesy Ursuline Convent).
L
L'Ange à la trompette, by Noel Levasseur, in the historical chapel of the Ursulines of Québec, beginning of the 18th century (courtesy Ursuline Chapel, Québec).

Ursuline Convent

  Ursuline Convent, Québec City. First occupying this site in 1642 under the leadership of MARIE DE L'INCARNATION (who had established a convent first in the lower town in 1639), the Ursuline Sisters gradually (1686-1902) erected this complex of buildings dedicated to the education of young girls. The St-Augustin, Ste-Famille and kitchen wings, the largest surviving pre-1700 structures in Canada, have features characteristic of this early period, such as the steep medieval roofs with 2 rows of dormers, massive chimneys, rubble masonry protected by stucco, or crépi, and segmentally arched windows with small-paned casements.

 Although the original church was destroyed by fire, the Ursulines managed to save the magnificent altarpiece and pulpit carved by members of the LEVASSEUR FAMILY dynasty, 1732-36, a masterpiece that attests to the highly skilled craftsmanship available in New France.