Hespeler, Ont, is located in southwestern Ontario, on the Speed River. It was first settled by Mennonites from Pennsylvania, and originally called Bergeytown after an early resident, Michael Bergey. Subsequently the name became New Hope, then Hespeler, after Jacob Hespeler, an operator of mills and small factories who moved to the community in 1845. His enterprises formed the core of the local economy for most of the 19th century and he was the first reeve of the village (incorporated 1859). Incorporated as a town at the turn of the 20th century, in 1973 Hespeler amalgamated with Preston and GALT to form the new city of CAMBRIDGE.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Hespeler". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/hespeler. Accessed 10 August 2020.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Francis, D., Hespeler (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/hespeler
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel, "Hespeler". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited March 04, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/hespeler
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Hespeler", Last Edited March 04, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/hespeler
|Article by||Daniel Francis|
|Published Online||February 7, 2006|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|
Hespeler, Ont, is located in southwestern Ontario, on the Speed River.