Picton, Ont, urban area, population 4487 (2011c), 4375 (2006c). Picton is on a peninsula of rolling farmland and sand beaches jutting out into Lake Ontario about 160 km east of TORONTO. Located on an arm of the Bay of Quinte, Picton developed as a harbour and distribution centre for the surrounding countryside. It was originally settled by LOYALISTS in the 1780s and was first named Hallowell. During the 1820s the introduction of steamboats made the harbour more accessible to lake traffic. An adjacent village called Picton was laid out, and the 2 were amalgamated as the town of Picton in 1837. In 1998, Picton as well as the other 9 municipalities in Prince Edward County and the county itself amalgamated into one municipality under the countys name. Picton is the administration centre for the county. Sir Thomas Picton was a British officer who died at the Battle of Waterloo. For 2 years (1833-35), Sir John A. MACDONALD practised law here. Picton has remained a small lake port and service centre for an agricultural hinterland.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Picton". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/picton. Accessed 14 November 2018.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Francis, D., Picton (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/picton
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel, "Picton". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published October 31, 2012; last modified March 04, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/picton
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Daniel Francis, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Picton", last modified March 04, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/picton
|Article by||Daniel Francis|
|Date Published||October 31, 2012|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|
Picton, Ont, urban area, population 4487 (2011c), 4375 (2006c). Picton is on a peninsula of rolling farmland and sand beaches jutting out into Lake Ontario about 160 km east of TORONTO. Located on an arm of the Bay of Quinte,
Image: Jacob Frank Bell.