Ship Harbour, NS, Unincorporated Place. Ship Harbour is located 67 km east of DARTMOUTH. Three communities, East Ship Harbour, Head Ship Harbour and Lower Ship Harbour, share this name. Called Tedumunaboowek ("waterworn rock") by the MI'KMAQ, its present name is derived from a cliff in the harbour that resembled a ship under full sail.
LOYALISTS from South Carolina founded the settlement in 1783. The early years were trying, owing to a shortage of supplies and the difficulty of growing crops. Fishing, MUSSEL aquaculture and lumbering are the chief industries.