Slocan, BC, incorporated as a village in 1958, population 296 (2011c), 314 (2006c). The Village of Slocan is located 70 km by road northwest of NELSON, at the south end of Slocan Lake. Slocan is an Okanagan (see SALISH, INTERIOR) word meaning "pierce or strike on the head," referring to the salmon-fishing practice of the Okanagan. The community was also known as Slocan City when it was an incorporated city (1901-1958).
Slocan was founded in 1892 by Frank Fletcher to service the Slocan Valley galena-mining boom, and became a transportation centre at the foot of the lake in 1897 when the railway from Nelson arrived. Incorporated as a city in 1901, it declined rapidly with the demise of the Slocan-area mines. During World War II JAPANESE CANADIANS were relocated here and at Lemon Creek, 10 km to the south.
Today, logging and sawmilling are Slocan's main enterprises. There is also some tourism with the creation of Valhalla Provincial Park (1983) to the northwest.