Buckland, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1911, population 3658 (2011c), 3429 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Buckland is named for the deer that were once common in the area. A large gold dredge owned by the International Gold Dredging Company operated on the SASKATCHEWAN RIVER near Buckland from 1905 to 1909. The area began to be settled after 1911 when the railway was built west from PRINCE ALBERT towards SHELLBROOK. The name Buckland was first applied to a small railway community that grew up at Buckland Siding. It had a station and housing for section crews. Other early area residents supported themselves by cutting cord wood, and a nearby gravel pit supplied gravel for the rail bed.