Balgonie, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1907, population 1625 (2011c), 1384 (2006c). The Town of Balgonie is located 24 km east of Regina, between Pilot Butte and McLean on the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) main line. The name refers to Balgonie Castle in Scotland. The name suggests that the first settlers in the area were Scottish, but Balgonie also attracted German and Russian homesteaders. The area was first settled in the mid 1870s. In 1882 the CPR reached the area and a community began to form soon after. Like most communities in the Regina area, the economy of Balgonie has always been dominated by agriculture and, in particular, by the large-scale production of wheat.