Coronach, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1978, population 711 (2011c), 770 (2006c). The Town of Coronach is located 15 km north of the international boundary and 145 kilometres southwest of REGINA. The community was created in 1927 when the Canadian Pacific Railway branch line for south-central Saskatchewan began servicing the site. It was named for a horse that had won the Epsom Derby, and developed as a small service centre for the farmers and ranchers of the area. The village's decline was arrested during the mid-1970s by the Saskatchewan Power Corporation's plans to build the Poplar River Dam, a thermal-power generating plant and a strip coal mining operation.