Halifax Relief Commission
Halifax Relief Commission began 6 Dec 1917 as an emergency committee to provide immediate relief after the HALIFAX EXPLOSION. In Apr 1918, a 3-man commission was incorporated by provincial statute to administer a $30-million fund for medical care, social welfare, compensation and reconstruction. Total destruction and lingering human misery encouraged the rapid implementation of various innovative civic-planning and social-rehabilitation schemes, including a master town plan in 1921 and Canada's first public-housing project, the Hydrostone development, built in the devastated area and administered by the commission. By 1948 the commission's priorities had changed and it became a pension board. In 1976, with $1.5 million remaining and with 65 disabled dependants, the Halifax Relief Commission was terminated and its responsibilities transferred to the Canada Pension Commission.