La LocheLa Loche, Sask, incorporated as a northern village in 1983, population 2611 (2011c), 2348 (2006c). The Northern Village of La Loche lies on the eastern shore of Lac La Loche in northwestern Saskatchewan near the Saskatchewan-Alberta border. The settlement of La Loche dates back to at least the fur trade and Peter POND'S"discovery" in 1778 of the PORTAGE LA LOCHE, or Methye Portage, which crosses the height of land between the HUDSON BAY and Arctic Ocean drainage basins. This 20 km long portage, which Pond was shown by his Cree companions, connects La Loche Lake and the Clearwater River. Methye is the Cree and Loche the French name for burbot, a variety of freshwater cod.
The NORTH WEST COMPANY had a post at the Portage as early as 1808 and the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY soon followed suit. Here the Athabasca and Mackenzie River brigades exchanged goods and furs with the La Loche brigade. The community of La Loche is still largely Métis and Chipewyan and trapping remains a significant local industry. Lac La Loche also produces commercial quantities of fish and food for area residents.