Val-Bélair, Qué, City, pop 21 332 (2001c), 20 176 (1996c), 17 181 (1991c), area 69.88 km2, was first incorporated in 1965 as Bélair, and merged with Val-Saint-Michel under the name of Val-Bélair in 1973. Val-Bélair is located 21 km northwest of QUÉBEC CITY in the Laurentian Highlands. Overlooking the city is the 485 m high Mont Bélair, originally called Mont Bonhomme. A member of the Communauté urbaine de Québec, Val-Bélair is a residential suburb of the Valcartier military base and of Québec City.
The name Bélair stems back to the original seigneury granted to Guillaume Bonhomme in 1682 by Governor Joseph-Antoine Le Febvre de LA BARRE and Intendant Jacques de MEULLES. In a 1733 census the seigneury was designated as "the fief commonly referred to as Bélair or Bonhomme."