Cape Bonavista Lighthouse

CAPE BONAVISTA separates Trinity and Bonavista bays on the eastern coast of Newfoundland. In 1842 it was decided to build a LIGHTHOUSE there as an aid to navigating the dangerous seas off the cape. The lighthouse operated for well over a century before it finally closed in 1962.

Cape Bonavista separates Trinity and Bonavista bays on the eastern coast of Newfoundland. In 1842 it was decided to build a lighthouse there as an aid to navigating the dangerous seas off the cape. The lighthouse operated for well over a century before it finally closed in 1962. Jeremiah White, and later his sons, operated the lighthouse from 1842 to 1895. This provincial historic site (1978) has been restored to the 1870 period when White was the lighthouse keeper. An interpretive centre details the history and technology of lighthouses. The site is open to the public from mid-June to mid-October.