Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

100 Mile House

100 Mile House, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1991, population 1886 (2011c), 1885 (2006c). The District of 100 Mile House is located in the South Cariboo region of south-central British Columbia on Highway 97, 458 km northeast of Vancouver.

Article

Abbotsford

Abbotsford, BC, incorporated as a city in 1995, population 133 497 (2011c), 124 258 (2006c). The City of Abbotsford is the result of the amalgamation of the district municipalities of Matsqui and Abbotsford. Abbotsford is located on the south bank of the Fraser River, 76 km east of Vancouver.

Article

Acadia

Acadia is a land deeply imbued with history. Its present status is that of a minority, a "country" with vague outlines but a vigorous spirit. Its territorial origin follows the French colonial efforts in the early 17th century. The first permanent agricultural settlements in what is now Canada occurred there.

Article

Acton Vale

Known as La porte de l'Estrie (Door to the Eastern Townships), Acton Vale is the county seat of the regional municipality of Acton. Its main employer is Peerless Carpets. The town's cultural life is centered on the old Grand Trunk railway station, now a tourist information bureau and art gallery.

Article

Africville

Africville was an African-Canadian village located just north of Halifax and founded in the mid-18th century. The City of Halifax demolished the once-prosperous seaside community in the 1960s in what many said was an act of racism. The mayor of the Halifax Regional Municipality apologized for the action in 2010. For many people, Africville represents the oppression faced by Black Canadians, and the efforts to right historic wrongs.

Article

Airdrie

Airdrie, AB, incorporated as a city in 1985, population 61,581 (2016 census), 42,564 (2011 census).

Article

Ajax

Ajax, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1955, population 109 600 (2011c), 90 167 (2006c). The Town of Ajax is located 13 km from the eastern boundary of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

Article

Aklavik

Aklavik, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1974, population 633 (2011c), 594 (2006c). The Hamlet of Aklavik is located near the mouth of the Mackenzie River, 1143 air km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Alberton

By 1833 Alberton was known as "Stump Town" because hundreds of stumps were left after the clearing of a forest. Owing to its crossroads location, Alberton was later known as the "Cross." On 27 June 1862, the community was renamed in honour of Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales.

Article

Alert Bay

Alert Bay, BC, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 445 (2011c), 456 (2006c). The Village of Alert Bay is located on Cormorant Island, off Vancouver Island, 288 km north of Vancouver.

Article

Alma

Born of the lumber industry in 1860, Alma quickly became a prosperous agricultural parish. It burst into the industrial age in 1923 with the start of construction of the Isle-Maligne hydro station on the Grande Décharge.

Article

Almonte

Almonte, Ont, urban area, population 4752 (2011c), 4538 (2006c). Almonte is located on the Mississippi River, 48 km southwest of Ottawa.

Article

Altona

The town site was established in 1895 on a Canadian Pacific Railway spur near the agricultural village of Altona, settled in 1880 as part of a reserve W of the Red River for Mennonites from Russia.

Article

Amherst

Amherst, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 9717 (2011c), 9505 (2006c). The Town of Amherst is located near the border with New Brunswick, 15 km east of Sackville, NB.

Article

Amherstburg

Amherstburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 21 556 (2011c), 21 748 (2006c). The Town of Amherstburg is located on Detroit River near Lake Erie.

Article

Amos

Founded in 1914, Amos became in the mid-1920s the most important town in Abitibi and the county town of this newly settled region of Québec. It took its name from Alice Amos, the wife of Sir Lomer Gouin, premier of Québec.

Article

Amqui

Amqui's municipal history is more complex than it seems. In 1907, the village centre had split away from the parish municipality of Saint-Benoît-Joseph-Labre. It adopted the name Amqui in 1948 and was given town status in 1961.

Article

Ancaster

Ancaster, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Hamilton. Ancaster was incorporated as a town in 1974, but in 2001 it was merged into the new city of Hamilton