Westlock, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1916, population 4823 (2011c), 5008 (2006c). The Town of Westlock is located 80 km northwest of Edmonton. Originally part of land owned by the Westgate and Lockhart families (hence the name Westlock), the town was formed with the coming of the railway in 1913. Although situated at the crossroads of highways leading N to resource rich areas, farming is still the major industry in an area that was once described in a survey as having the highest yield for the lowest cost for crops on the N American continent. In addition to rail and road links, Westlock also has its own airport, hospital and radio station.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Ching, Blair. "Westlock". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/westlock. Accessed 01 October 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Ching, B. (2015). Westlock. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/westlock
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Ching, Blair. "Westlock." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published March 31, 2008; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Westlock," by Blair Ching, Accessed October 01, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/westlock
Article by Blair Ching
Published Online March 31, 2008
Last Edited March 4, 2015