Adelaide Hoodless, née Hunter, educational reformer, founder of the Women's Institutes (b at St George, Canada W 26 Feb 1857; d at Toronto 26 Feb 1910). Hoodless was jolted out of a comfortable middle-class life when an infant son died in 1889 after drinking impure milk. Thereafter she devoted herself to women's causes, specifically to the better education of women for motherhood and household management. She campaigned for domestic science (home economics) in the schools and advised the provincial department of education on this subject. In 1897 she founded the first Women's Institute (Stoney Creek, Ont); within a few years this movement spread across Canada and around the world. Working with Lady Aberdeen, she helped found the National Council of Women, Victorian Order of Nurses and the national YWCA. Basically conservative, Hoodless believed women's natural destiny lay in the home, and she never supported the suffragette cause. She was the author of Public School Domestic Science (1898).
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Stamp, Robert M.. "Adelaide Hoodless". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/adelaide-hoodless. Accessed 12 December 2018.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Stamp, R., Adelaide Hoodless (2015). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/adelaide-hoodless
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Stamp, Robert M., "Adelaide Hoodless". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published March 25, 2008; last modified March 04, 2015. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/adelaide-hoodless
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Robert M. Stamp, The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Adelaide Hoodless", last modified March 04, 2015, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/adelaide-hoodless
|Article by||Robert M. Stamp|
|Date Published||March 25, 2008|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|
Adelaide Hoodless, née Hunter, educational reformer, founder of the Women's Institutes (b at St George, Canada W 26 Feb 1857; d at Toronto 26 Feb 1910).
Oil painting by Marion Long, after J.W. Forster (courtesy Library and Archives Canada/C-85284).