Fort Calgary, located at the junction of the Bow and Elbow rivers on the site of the present-day city of Calgary, was established in 1875 as a North-West Mounted Police post by Ephrem-A. Brisebois, one of the original officers of the force. Initially called Fort Brisebois, the name was changed to Fort Calgary in June 1876. As one of the most active police posts in southern Alberta, Fort Calgary became a district headquarters; but the arrival of the railway in 1883 and the subsequent rapid growth and expansion of Calgary destroyed the post's reason for existing. Fort Calgary is now securely buried under city concrete.