Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL, incorporated as a town in 1955, population 7552 (2011c), 7572 (2006c). The Town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is the result of the amalgamation of two towns situated at the western end of HAMILTON INLET, Labrador.
Happy Valley was a townsite chosen by people relocated from Otter Cr by the Government of Canada in 1941, when it was decided to build an airport at nearby Goose Bay. By June 1943 the airport was the world's largest, used by the RCAF, the USAF and the Canadian Army. As construction accelerated, Happy Valley grew with over 3000 employed on the project. The town continued as a small civilian community servicing the base, which remained a permanent airport after the war. In 1974 Happy Valley amalgamated with Goose Bay.
Today the base, 5 Wing Goose Bay, provides logistical and administrative service to the Air Forces of the UK, Germany and the Netherlands. All 3 Allied air forces conduct an average of 7000 low-level military flight training sorties throughout Labrador and Quebec from Apr to Oct each year.