Aurora, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1888, population 53 203 (2011c), 47 629 (2006c). The Town of Aurora is located in York County, 30 km north of Toronto. Incorporated as a village in 1863 and 25 years later as a town, Aurora became part of the Regional Municipality of York in Oct 1970 and the next year annexed portions of King and Whitchurch Twps.
Originally called Machell's Corners after a local merchant, the name was changed by postmaster Charles Doan in
In the 19th century, the Aurora area was a strong centre of Quakerism.