Beaumont, Alberta, incorporated as a village in 1973, as a town in 1980 and as a city in 2019, population 20,888 (2021 census), 17,457 (2016 census). The city of Beaumont is located immediately south of Edmonton’s city boundary.
The name Beaumont refers to the hill upon which the city is built. This area was settled by French-speaking homesteaders in the 1890s (see Francophones of Alberta). In 1895, the Roman Catholic church established St. Vital Church at Beaumont and the first post office was opened. The current St. Vital Church, a local landmark, was built in 1919.
The community developed as a service centre for the surrounding agricultural area. In recent years, the town has experienced significant growth as a bedroom community for Edmonton and it is now primarily a residential community.