Carleton Place, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890, population 9809 (2011c), 9453 (2006c). The Town of Carleton Place, located on the Mississippi River, 45 km southwest of OTTAWA, was founded (1819) by William Morphy and his sons. The name is a corruption of Carlton Place, a famous square in Glasgow, Scotland. Lumber mills and manufacturing, especially of textiles and stoves, drew power from nearby falls in the past. Now electronics and tourism dominate the economy. A plaque in Memorial Pk honours native son A. Roy BROWN, WWI flying ace.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Morrison, K.l.. "Carleton Place". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carleton-place. Accessed 09 December 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Morrison, K. (2015). Carleton Place. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carleton-place
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Morrison, K.l.. "Carleton Place." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published October 18, 2012; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Carleton Place," by K.l. Morrison, Accessed December 09, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/carleton-place
Article by K.l. Morrison
Published Online October 18, 2012
Last Edited March 4, 2015