Carman

Carman, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 3027 (2011c), 2781 (2006c). The Town of Carman, located 80 km southwest of WINNIPEG on the Boyne River in the Pembina Triangle, is one of the most prosperous agricultural districts in Manitoba.

Carman, Manitoba, incorporated as a town in 1905, population 3027 (2011c), 2781 (2006c). The Town of Carman, located 80 km southwest of WINNIPEG on the Boyne River in the Pembina Triangle, is one of the most prosperous agricultural districts in Manitoba. Carman was first settled in the early 1870s and named after Rev Albert CARMAN, an episcopal bishop, who dedicated the first church built in the community in 1882. With the arrival of the railway in 1888, the town built on its agricultural base, providing a variety of farming supply services and food processing plants. Along with fertilizers and farm equipment sales, the town processes a number of special crops as well as horticultural products. Nurseries and greenhouses are of increasing importance. The Dufferin Agricultural Society's annual fair is one of the region's longest established events.