Hazelton, British Columbia, incorporated as a village in 1956, population 270 (2011c), 293 (2006c). The Village of Hazelton is situated at the confluence of the Skeena and Bulkley rivers. The townsite was laid out by Edgar DEWDNEY in 1871 next to the GITKSAN village of Gitanmaax. The town flourished in the early years of the 20th century, but went into decline after the completion of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway in 1914, being on the opposite side of the river from the tracks.
Recently Hazelton has regained some of its importance as a regional centre for many small communities nearby. The reconstructed native village of KSAN is a major tourist attraction.The steelhead and salmon fishing in the region is world renowned.