Hedley, BC, Unincorporated Place, population 252 (2011c), 256 (2006c). Hedley is a pioneer mining community, 39 km east of Princeton in the Similkameen Valley. It is situated on Highway 3, the major southern trans-provincial highway. The first mining claim was staked on nearby Nickel Plate Mountain in 1894, and the community is named for Robert Hedley of Nelson, who grubstaked one of the first prospectors. When the mines closed in 1955 they had yielded 52 900 kg in gold. Silver and copper were also extracted. The Nickel Plate mine reopened 1985-96, yielding another 25 600 kg. Mining exploration in the area continues. The abandoned Mascot Mine, perched high above Hedley, is open for tours.