Lakeshore, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1999, population 34 546 (2011c), 33 245 (2006c). The Town of Lakeshore is composed of the former town of Belle River (incorporated in 1969) and the former townships of Maidstone, Rochester, Tilbury West (all incorporated in 1850) and Tilbury North (incorporated in 1891). Lakeshore is located 20 km east of Windsor at the mouth of the Belle River on LAKE ST CLAIR. In the early 1800s the area began to attract permanent settlers. It remained agricultural in nature until 1852, when the GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY passed through the area.
This led to the laying out of the town site of Belle River, and soon a grist mill, sawmill and general store were operating. In 1874 Belle River was incorporated as a village. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the village served as a port for schooners and other vessels using Lake St Clair. It was incorporated as a town in 1969.
Today Lakeshore's economy is still based on its agricultural and recreational roots. With no major industries, many residents commute to nearby Windsor for work.