Lawrence House Museum
The Lawrence House Museum in Maitland, NS, is both a national and a provincial historic site. It was built in about 1870 by the noted shipbuilder, William Lawrence, as a family home. The house is located above the Shubenacadie River and Cobequid Bay where Lawrence had his shipyard, and where he had the William D. Lawrence, the largest full-rigged ship ever constructed in Canada, built in 1874. The house reflects the wealth and social position of Nova Scotia's shipbuilding elite in the late 19th century. The house, which has been restored and furnished to the 1870s period, is open to the public from early June to mid-October.