Leamington, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1890 and as a municipality in 1999, population 28 403 (2011c), 28 833 (2006c). The Municipality of Leamington is located on the north shore of LAKE ERIE, 54 km southeast of WINDSOR. Named after a town in Warwickshire, Eng, it developed in the 19th century as a lake port and market-gardening centre. Tobacco growing was a major industry in the surrounding area, along with canning and food processing. Today it is the site of a large H.J. Heinz Co food processing plant. It is also the gateway to POINT PELÉE NATIONAL PARK. In 1999 the town of Leamington amalgamated with Mersea Township to form the Municipality of Leamington.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Leamington". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 04 March 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/leamington. Accessed 30 September 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Francis, D. (2015). Leamington. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/leamington
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Francis, Daniel. "Leamington." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published October 24, 2012; Last Edited March 04, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Leamington," by Daniel Francis, Accessed September 30, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/leamington
Article by Daniel Francis
Published Online October 24, 2012
Last Edited March 4, 2015