Masset, BC, incorporated as a village in 1961, population 884 (2011c), 940 (2006c). The Village of Masset is located on the northern tip of Graham Island, the largest of HAIDA GWAII off the northern coast of British Columbia. The islands are the traditional home of the HAIDA, and the name Masset is derived from the name of a man named Masseta buried on a nearby island. The first area on the island to attract non-native settlers, the townsite was originally called Graham City but was renamed Masset in 1909. When amalgamated with the adjacent community of Delkatla, Masset became the first incorporated village on the Queen Charlotte Islands in 1961. Canadian Forces Station Masset, originally opened as a naval reserve station in 1943 and designated a Canadian Forces station in 1949, was officially stood down on 1 April 1997 and re-established as CFS Leitrim Detachment Masset.
Today Masset is the largest settlement on the Queen Charlottes and the economic base comes from commercial fishing, fish processing and tourism. The old Haida village of Masset (Old Massett) is renowned for its gold- and silversmiths and carvers.