Matsqui, BC, Urban Community, was a district municipality (1892-1995) until it was merged with the District Municipality of Abbotsford to form the city of ABBOTSFORD. Matsqui is located between the FRASER RIVER (opposite the district of MISSION) and the US border. Its name comes from the Halkomelem word meaning "easy portage" or "easy travelling," apparently referring to the ease with which people could ascend creeks from the Fraser and drag their canoes over the height of land to the former Sumas Lake (since reclaimed for agriculture). In the late 1920s Mennonites settled in this low-lying agricultural area, largely in Clearbrook, which became the town centre of Matsqui. Commercial expansion later spilled over into neighbouring Abbotsford.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Artibise, Alan F.j. and Ken Favrholdt. "Matsqui". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 24 July 2015, Historica Canada. www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/matsqui. Accessed 23 September 2023.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Artibise, A., & Favrholdt, K. (2015). Matsqui. In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/matsqui
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Artibise, Alan F.j. , and Ken Favrholdt. "Matsqui." The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published November 20, 2007; Last Edited July 24, 2015.
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Matsqui," by Alan F.j. Artibise, and Ken Favrholdt, Accessed September 23, 2023, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/matsqui
Published Online November 20, 2007
Last Edited July 24, 2015