Settlement and Development
The region was settled during the Slocan Valley mining boom of the 1890s and early 1900s. Settlers also engaged in mixed farming and a prosperous lumber industry. Nakusp was established in 1893 as the western terminus of the Nakusp and Slocan Railway. It was an important landing for the various paddlewheel steamboats that served the industries and settlers along the Arrow Lakes until the 1950s. After that, the village and area went into some decline. Today, the forest industry and tourism are important economic drivers. The nearby Nakusp Hot Springs, owned by the village, is open year-round.