New Tecumseth, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1991, population 30 234 (2011c), 27 701 (2006c). The Town of New Tecumseth is the result of the amalgamation of the former town of Alliston, the township of Tecumseth, and the villages of Beeton and Tottenham. It is located in Simcoe County approximately 50 km northwest of TORONTO. The name refers to the name of the former township, which in turn commemorates TECUMSEH, a leader of the Shawnee and ally of the British in the WAR OF 1812.
Agricultural settlement began in this area in the mid-19th century and, until recently, mixed farming was the major enterprise in the area. Because of its proximity to Toronto and location near road, rail and air transportation routes, a number of manufacturers and service industries such as Honda of Canada have located in New Tecumseth.