North York, Ontario, Urban Community within the city of Toronto. North York was a city (incorporated from 1979 to 1998) until it was amalgamated into the new megacity of TORONTO in 1998. The name North York refers to both Toronto's original name, York, and the township, and later the former city's location north of Toronto proper.
The first settlers took up land in what would become North York in 1795. The area remained primarily agricultural until well into the 20th century. In 1922 when the township of North York was created, the population was still under 6000. The expansion of Toronto into a metropolitan centre had considerable impact on North York, which was transformed in the 1950s and 1960s into a suburban community and an integral part of Metropolitan Toronto.
As its population increased its municipal status rose to borough in 1967 and later to city in 1979. North York is home to a number of significant institutions including YORK UNIVERSITY, Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, the Ontario Science Centre, BLACK CREEK PIONEER VILLAGE and the Ford Centre for the Performing Arts. It is also home to renowned hospitals and prior to amalgamation with Toronto, had the second-largest manufacturing base in Ontario.