In 2012, the Nova Scotia Agricultural College merged with Dalhousie University, becoming the University’s Faculty of Agriculture. While facilities have expanded, the faculty still operates out of the college’s original location, near Truro, Nova Scotia.
The college opened in 1905 to provide agricultural education and training for the Atlantic Provinces. It amalgamated the School of Agriculture (founded in Truro, 1885) with the School of Horticulture (founded in Wolfville, 1893). The college offered technical and vocational courses, studies in agricultural engineering and veterinary medicine, and an agricultural science degree and a graduate program in agriculture. The college approached agricultural studies from various directions, including an active research program, and emphasized direct involvement with the organized industry. Graduates occupied prominent positions in agricultural services both in Canada and abroad.