Oliver, BC, incorporated as a village in 1945 and as a town in 1991, population 4824 (2011c), 4395 (2006c). The Town of Oliver is located in the OKANAGAN VALLEY, 27 km south of Penticton. It was named after Premier John OLIVER, whose Liberal government (1918-27) sponsored the Southern Okanagan Lands Project, irrigating land to be settled by soldiers returning from the First World War. Some mining, cattle ranching and fruit growing had existed previously in the area. Agriculture continues to be important but has been overtaken by the WINE INDUSTRY. Oliver has the highest concentration of vineyards and wineries in the province. The economic spinoff of wine tours has led to a thriving tourism sector. There is also some manufacturing.
- MLA 8TH EDITION
- Sloan, William A.. "Oliver". The Canadian Encyclopedia, 08 June 2016, Historica Canada. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/oliver. Accessed 11 November 2019.
- APA 6TH EDITION
- Sloan, W., Oliver (2016). In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/oliver
- CHICAGO 17TH EDITION
- Sloan, William A., "Oliver". In The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica Canada. Article published February 07, 2006; Last Edited June 08, 2016. https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/oliver
- TURABIAN 8TH EDITION
- Sloan, William A.. The Canadian Encyclopedia, s.v. "Oliver", Last Edited June 08, 2016, https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/oliver
|Article by||William A. Sloan|
|Published Online||February 7, 2006|
|Last Edited||March 4, 2015|