Robert Ferguson, businessman (b at Logierait, Scot 17 Apr 1768; d at Campbellton, NB 10 Aug 1851). He came to the RESTIGOUCHE RIVER in 1796 and was soon the most prominent merchant and largest landowner in the region. He farmed, built ships and exported timber and fish to Europe, his large house and store becoming the business centre of the Restigouche. In 1826 he began selling lots in what became the town of CAMPBELLTON. Along with Hugh Munro, he controlled the trade of northern New Brunswick until his authority was challenged with the arrival of Irish immigrants in the late 1820s. He was in part responsible for the creation of Restigouche County in 1837. One of the commissioners for laying out the first highway between NB and Lower Canada, he was active in the agricultural society, in the militia and as a magistrate. He was referred to as "the founder and father of Restigouche."