Salmo, BC, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 1139 (2011c), 1007 (2006c). The Village of Salmo is located in the Selkirk Mountains on the Salmo River at its junction with Erie Creek, 24 km north of the United States border. Known as Salmon River before the Grand Coulee Dam cut off salmon migration, it lay on the route of the first prospectors to the Nelson area (1862-87).
By 1897 a number of mines were operating in the area, and lumbering developed as an associated industry. Since 1972 several mines, accounting for most of Salmo's production, have shut down, as well as a forest-products operation. Completion of the Creston-Salmo Highway link in 1963 opened some potential for Salmo as a service centre. About 40 km each from Nelson, Castlegar and Trail, the village has become somewhat of a bedroom community for the larger centres. Stone murals depicting Salmo's history adorn the walls of many buildings.